Window tinting in Rotherham, vinyl wrapping in Rotherham




The UK law on tinted vehicle windows.

The rules for tinted front windscreens and front side windows depend on when the vehicle was first used. There are no rules for tinting the rear windscreen or rear passenger windows.


Vehicles first used on 1 April 1985 or later...


The front windscreen must let at least 75% of light through and the front side windows must let at least 70% of light through.


Vehicles first used before 1 April 1985...


The front windscreen and front side windows must both let at least 70% of light through.


Penalties for having wrongly tinted windows...


It's illegal to fit or sell glass (or a vehicle already fitted with glass) that breaks the rules on tinted windows.


The police or the driver and vehicle standards agency (DVSA) vehicle examiners use light measuring equipment to measure window tint.


If your windscreen or front side windows are tinted too much you could get:


  • a 'prohibition notice' stopping you using your vehicle on the road until you have the extra tint removed

  • a penalty notice or court summons


Tinted windows are not part of the MOT test.


Last updated: 12 January 2015



For any further updates or to check this informaton please go to:



UK Vinyl Wrap Laws


The register maintained by the Driver and Vehicle Licensing Agency (DVLA) essentially exists to assist in revenue collection, road safety and law enforcement. The Police and other enforcement agencies rely on the DVLA record for all vehicles-related investigations. It is therefore paramount that the information stored on the vehicle register is accurate and up to date.

DVLA records details given by vehicle manufacturers at first registration. Any changes to the vehicles details must be notified to DVLA by law.

By covering the entire vehicle in a coloured adhesive/vinyl wrap, it is DVLA’s view that the colour change should be recorded. To notify a change of colour you should complete section 7 of the registration certificate V5C and return it to DVLA Swansea SA99 1BA. You should receive a replacement certificate within two to four weeks.